Port Install…. check!

Here’s what my port looks like and my cute doctor’s hands 😉

Yesterday I had my port installed. I’m one step closer to chemo!!!

Before I went to get my port installed, I had to go get an injection of Zoladex. Zoladex is a hormone therapy that shuts down the ovaries and stop them from producing estrogen so there is less estrogen to fuel the growth of hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer. I have to get this shot a week before each chemo treatment.

My mom and I sat in the waiting area and there was young child in the treatment area who was screaming because he didn’t want whatever they were doing to him to happen. I giggled with my mom about the times that I was like that and gave the nurses hell when they wanted to check my blood.

This is a photo I found online. This photo does the needle no justice. It is HUGE!!!

So, when I heard my name called, I thought to myself, “At least I won’t be screaming and yelling!” I was wrong–sort of. The two nurses took me to the back of the room and made me an ice pack to put on my belly where they were going to inject the drugs. I was surprised by the stomach injection, but I gave myself shots–I thought it would be a piece of cake. After I told one of the nurses that I was done with the ice, she opened the package and pulled out the needle. Still, didn’t look bad. She took an alcohol wipe out and cleaned my stomach and uncapped the needle. When she showed me the needle I literally freaked out–I started to cry and I pulled my shirt down like I was ready to get out of there. It took me a second to get my self under control and she gave me the shot, while I held my mom’s hand for dear life. The nurse told me it wouldn’t hurt as bad as the needle looked and she was right. I apologized over and over to the nurses. So embarrassing.

After the dramatic shot, the port was nothing! They kept me awake for the duration of the procedure and let me listen to whatever music I wanted to listen to for the hour-long surgery. I chatted with the doctor and the nurses during the whole thing and I’m worried about what I may have said. I know I was talking crazy. I hit on my doctor and one of my nurses and I asked them if they were going to sue me for sexual harassment or if they were going to file a Title IX complaint.

I had a post-op nurse who was also dealing with breast cancer. I don’t know if they had her take care of me because of that, but it was nice to ask her a bunch of questions.

I headed home a few hours after the procedure and relaxed at home. I was very nauseous yesterday and ate very little. The two incisions (one for the port and one above it where they numbed me) are sore today, but nothing like any of the other surgeries or biopsies.

The rest of the week I will be looking for a place to shave my head and hat/scarf hunting. I got the bad news that my insurance will not pay for my wig. The uppity person in me doesn’t want synthetic hair, so I’m going to have to find a way to pay for the more expensive wig.